#1353. Cape 1000

By Ian Varkevisser | Travel Photography

Mar 24

The Mille Miglia (Thousand Miles) was an open-road, motorsport endurance race established in 1927 by the young Counts Francesco Mazzotti and Aymo Maggi. It took place in Italy 24 times from 1927 to 1957 (13 times before World War II, and 11 times from 1947).

Since 1977, the "Mille Miglia" has been reborn as a regularity race for classic and vintage cars. Participation is limited to cars, produced no later than 1957, which had attended (or were registered to) the original race. The route (Brescia–Rome round trip) is similar to that of the original race, maintaining the point of departure/arrival in Viale Venezia in Brescia.

This race made Stirling Moss famous thanks to the meticulous pre-planning , running a total of six reconnaissance laps beforehand, along with his navigtor Denis Jenkinson. They won in record time mainly due to this and navigation skills.

Many a rally around the world has since sprung up paying tribute to this famous race.

The Cape 1000 is a motor vehicle rally paying homage to this once famous race from a bygone era. Reimagined in the African context in what is arguably the most beautiful area on the southern tip of South Africa. This grand touring regularity rally spans the ages from vintage, to classic to modern vehicles in five different categories creating a truly unique rally that inspires ones soul and creates the most incredible lifelong memories and friends.

The 1000 mile touring event takes place over 3 days , the final day passing through our area. As will be seen from some of the images below the scenery is reminiscent of the French Riviera.

I was fortunate enough to be able to take time out and capture some of the spirit of the event.

For the petrol heads amongst you who appreciate quality cars that don't spy on you or spontaneously combust leaving you stranded in your own personal crematorium enjoy the parade.

• I used to think Americans had the corner on the market of passion for automobiles and it’s wonderful to learn just how wrong I was. The joy of driving is everywhere. Sometime I may recount a story of being awaken at 2 in the morning hearing a modern 12cylinder being driven rather too hard around the streets of Bangalore, India.

When I was growing up I remember reading about the Mille Miglia, even though it was no longer run at the time. The event that was still being run was the Targa Florio and that really captured my imagination. All those race machines being driven at speed on public roads. Such madness, that.

Here in France they run le tour de France automobile these days as a rally, just as the continue to do the Mille Miglia and Targa Florio in Italy. And just outside Paris they run classic events down at Montlhery which, in fact, they celebrate their 100th year.

It’s all good fun and I enjoyed looking at these photos.

• Ian Varkevisser says:

There isn’t much of an automobile mania ( passion ) over here , but luckily I was informed by someone at the days departure point a few hours before and took the spur of the moment decision to get out there with the camera. Sometimes one relies to much on pre-planning a shoot rather than just getting out there and enjoying the moment , and seeing what comes of it. Not earth shattering images by any means but a challenge in one way.

• Pascal Ollier says:

Nice set in what must have been a glorious time in beautiful South Africa.
    Thank you, Ian!
    But if there is something I enjoyed even more, it’s the last paragraph.
    Modern cars are becoming so irritating as Big Brother is present everywhere and all the time, assuming there MUST be a moron at the wheel who needs to be brought back in line with the “proper” code of conduct.
    Thanks again. A petrol head.

• Ian Varkevisser says:

I couldnt help myself with that one

It has become the way of the world with computer driven appliances and the internet. You know longer own what you thought you bought as features can be switched off willy nilly at the suppliers discretion or on a whim changing EULA policies. And the constant spying and selling off of data is 1984 intrusive.

Your car , due to faulty algorithms , now thinks you braked a little to hard , sells off and uploads your data to the insurance company , and boom next month the insurance company decides as a result it needs to up your premiums because you are a dangerous driver. Yes it is happening. Or there is an insurance app on your phone monitoring your driving habits so you drive like and idiot in an attempt to beat the data upload algorithm , allowing someones idea of how you should drive to rule your life.

For gods sake people even want internet connected dildos these days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is wrong with the modern generations wanting someone else to make all their decisions for them. We live in a bygone era and don’t give a toss for authority – thank god – but that is now considered far right fascist extremism and anarchy LMAO

• I re-read your last paragraph. It got me to thinking about liberty in the age of Protecting Us From Ourselves.

When my wife and I moved to France I had in mind a car project which was to build an American style Hot Rod with a flathead V8. Only to learn it would be nearly impossible to create anything customized and have it successfully licensed and insured here. Certainly I could buy a modified vehicle out of one of the surrounding countries as long as their local systems licensed and passed it through their local Contrôle Technique. But where is the joy in that? I wanted to build something myself, but I am not seemingly at liberty to do so.

Which got me to thinking about freedom a little more closely.

Walking down the street it seems as if 50+ percent of the people have their noses stuck on mobile phone LCD screens. No one is appreciating the environment they are in. How can they? Not when their eyes and minds are captured and controlled by corporate enterprises where we are made to feel we can _not_ live without this thing and its “services” we hold in our hands.

Isn’t this the exact definition of a fiefdom, where ones very survival is absolutely dependent on something that or someone who ultimately controls them and grants them the “grace” to live? Whether it be a lord of the land or a corporate entity that knows more about us than we do of ourselves?

I’ve since extended these ideas to include photography and creativity. But that’s a much longer conversation. Talking about such things might require several beers or a fair portion of a bottle of wine.

In the meantime, keep up the good work.

“Isn’t this the exact definition of a fiefdom”

It’s bad enough for individuals, but what about creators and companies who build their online assets on someone else’s platform such as Facebook, because it’s “free”. It’s called digital sharecropping, and never ends well. But people, even business owners, just love to follow the trend whatever the cost to their personal wellbeing. It’s very strange.

• Ian Varkevisser says:

Similarly hosted your business system in the cloud can end in tears. Just as soon as the service provider “EULA Roofies” you and cuts off your hosting service – as they did to sensor Parler

Louis Rossman has a very interesting youtube channel where he champions the right to repair and exposes the weakness of the subscription model and how more and more immoral companies are EULA Roofing subscribers and screwing them over.

His philosophy has now become – you get a better service from a company by pirating from them than paying on a subscription basis.

• Ian Varkevisser says:

This interesting comment was just sent to me

Comparing a 70s Mustangs 0-60 to a Tesla is like comparing a grill to a microwave. It might cook faster but no one wants a microwaved steak.

Ha ha – I’m afraid my budget only ever ran to one of those – although I had some others that apparently weren’t eligible, because they weren’t in the original race.
    I must admit the inclusion of a Rolls rather startled me – not quite what I’d expect, in a car race! And the Ford pickup But then I realised this is not the Mille Miglia, it’s the Cape 1000.
    Enjoy while you can, Ian – as we head into an era which seems to want to exterminate ICEs. The latest McLaren, for example, is destined to be their last internal combustion road car, and China’s trying to take over the entire car industry of the world, selling EVs instead.

• Ian Varkevisser says:

Not entirely sure I see it that way. To me the EV industry is starting to fall in a heap for many reasons. The primary ones are that consumers have finally woken up to the fact that they are impractical, dangerous, and have zero resale value. The last reason will be the most compelling not to buy them in the end. Who wants to buy a second hand EV when a new battery costs more than buying a new EV ?

The circle will turn full wheel when consumers start complaining about the massive pollution caused by the industry , something they are slowly starting to realise.

How green is the disposal of defunct batteries – NOT

Hi Ian,
        Must have been a niece event!
        I especially like the old pick-up and the photo with the white topped sports car at the windswept tree.

Some old cars definitely look better than most new cars!

Re. batteries:
        I certainly agree with you.
        Now there are prototypes for sun cells that simulate photosynthesis and directly produce H2 or e.g. methane.
        It fuel cells give the same pollution problems there are always combustion engines again…

But the main problem, I think, is the amount of waisted resources and resulting junk as ever more people want cars – and other stuff.

We have long been running out of our planet!
        ( Maybe *our* future climate will reduce human population enough. Shall we then hope for Homo sapiens secundus?)

• Mer says:

I applaud the folk who keep older cars running, but I’m happy to see new ICE vehicles get replaced by a cleaner and quieter alternative.

The EV solution has problems, no doubt about it. Child labour in the supply chain, patchy recycling of old batteries etc etc. That’s before you get into the source of electricity, because EVs make a lot less sense when charged off grids that are loaded up with coal-burning power stations.

However, despite all this, I’m glad that ICE alternatives are now getting serious consideration. Hopefully, battery tech will advance and settle, recycling will get properly sorted and supply chains will become accountable and monitored.

Regards loss of freedoms, there’s a bit of a grey area where willingness to compromise and perceived loss of freedom overlaps. Given the state of the environment and the number of people on the planet, I see moving away from ICE as an acceptable compromise.

Enjoyed the photos, by the way.

Cheers

• Ian Varkevisser says:

You are a very optimistic person and have far more faith in government than I ever will 🙂

Personally I favour an antique maintainable fully paid up ICE over a modern day vehicle ( ICE or EV ) complete with spyware and a government controlled kill switch – yes something that is to become mandated in 2026 in the USA in new vehicles if the government has its way.

EVs unfortunately are not cleaner – at end use maybe – not considering manufacturing source and running – Look here not there said every government ever while scheming how to raise another tax on you. 🙂

Slightly off topic I read in Toronto the authorities want to calculate home hard surface area and levy a rainwater tax on home owners – talk about dystopian.

Well they’re not getting my rainwater – I use it myself!
            As far as EVs are concerned – and this goes for house batteries, for my solar electricity – I refuse to have one with lithium batteries, because of the risk factor. Safer batteries are being developed, at lower cost, with longer life and ZERO risk of bursting into flames. And Ian – that’s not just about lithium batteries in cars – remember the horrific stories of cellphones exploding in people’s faces?
            So for the time being I’m waiting till they stop fooling around and get something “better” on the market. I hope they do it soon – I might need a battery-powered scooter, something like a golf buggy, before too many more years!
            One town in Holland has gone in a different direction. Virtually no road traffic – either on foot or on a bicycle.

> “One town in Holland…”
              Which town, Pete?
              Do you perhaps mean the canalized Giethoorn?

You have me, there, Kristian – I’ve seen photos of it, but I have a hopeless memory for names. Pity my grandpa isn’t still around – he had the most extraordinary memory I’ve ever come across – unfortunately my brother inherited it, all I got was a systems/mathematical brain

Shake hands, Pete!
                ( I’d like a better memory too,
                but not at the price of losing my math…)
                And don’t forget the musical part!

A maths brain works fine for music. Piano music, anyway.
                I can’t speak for the other types of music.
                Or other instruments – the only one I ever tried was a piccolo! And I learned that on the fly – taught myself to play it! So that I could participate in a small classical music group we had, in the “wilderness” on the other side of this continent

Pete

That could spawn a whole new discussion on its own.

Not sure how much of an advantage having a maths brain helped – though everyone seems to tell one that – in playing classical guitar.

More of a posture and fine hand co-ordination physical challenge , and always struggled with rhythm. Took me 10 years to become anywhere near proficient in sight reading and playing, for many reasons not excluding the fine nuances being able to obtain a clean sound on the instrument.

Perhaps only starting music at the age of 40 was a distinct drawback though.
                Having an unrealistic goal of reaching concert proficiency and dedication was a good driving force though.

Nevertheless a satisfying experience.

• Mer says:

Ha – not so much faith in government. They tend to cave in and follow the votes. An unpopular opinion, but we’re probably undertaxed regards what needs to be done to fix up all sorts of infrastructure and environmental issues, let alone make headway into some of the social ones. Relying on business to sort out housing, health etc just ain’t working.

That Toronto tax on runoff is interesting. They already get charged a stormwater fee, which would get dropped in favour of the tax you mentioned. The whole thing is being put out for discussion, so it’s an idea about a replacement charge, rather than just slapping down a new tax. They’re struggling with stormwater overflow and have, like a lot of places, belatedly realised that green spaces serve good purpose when soaking up rainwater. So, how do you entice people to reverse out many years of bad planning and practice? It may not fly, but putting this idea out there seems a good step.

Cheers

• Ian Varkevisser says:

Undertaxed or government guilty of overspending and wasting taxpayers money by subsidising every foreign cause to the detriment of their own citizens ??

In debt to the tune of more than GDP’s and still borrowing i.e. spending more than they earn in revenue plus still having to service debt interest ?? The man in the street would be put in jail for that would he not ??

The list could probably go on i guess 🙂

A replacement tax ho ho ho – said every citizen who has heard that one countless times before but continues to suck up the lies 🙂 🙂

An old saying by Reagan – the most dreaded words you ever want to hear – “we are from the government and we are here to help you ”

If green spaces are good at soaking up rainwater and there are not enough of them – would that point towards bad town planning in the first place ?? Sorry i forgot that would be the result of climate change.

Anything a government mandates and subsidises with punitive taxes – EVs included – just messes with the natural laws of supply and demand – and inevitably ends up in disastrous failure.

There is a wise old saying – rags to riches to rags in 3 generations – Our parents built up from rags – we lived in times of richness – the next generation which was bought up on entitlement ??

Off course i am not a cynic you understand 🙂 🙂

• Mer says:

Nothing wrong with cynicism. Not so sure about supply and demand, seeing as it’s married to ‘charge what the market will bear’.

Ideally, regulations wouldn’t be required, but there are far too many people willing to put money first, environment and other people second. Many examples of this in New Zealand, far too many.

Definitely some bad town planning, but climate change will catch a few places out with increased heavy rainfall, especially if infrastructure was created with milder conditions in mind. Given that a lot of that infrastructure went in well before anyone considered climate change, there could be quite a few cities facing stormwater issues. Bit of a detour – Tokyo has gone the stormwater cathedral route, giant underground caverns to cope with sudden deluges. Impressive stuff.

Cheers

• Ian Varkevisser says:

Is there really a climate crisis ?

The jury is still out on that one it seems

When I saw that your link would take me over an hour I despaired…
                Sorry, Ian!
                But I listened to parts of it.

( It’s a fact that there’s 50% more CO2 in the atmosphere than before our industrialisation – giving us this additional warming blanket.)

Of course Earth’s climate has varied hugely – but it has never warmed so fast as it will now (as far as I have gathered) making it too hard for nature to adapt in time.
                Unless the otherwise expected coming ice age might pull in the other direction – hooray, no global ice this time!

( Scientists were aware of this CO2 problem a century ago and their calculations are in line with today’s. But they couldn’t imagine that we’d be able to burn that much fossil fuel…)

Maybe the chaos this will inflict on us humans will reduce our numbers enough for Earth to be able to sustain us in the long run.
                And there might be new room for quite new biological diversity…

• Ian Varkevisser says:

I would suggest that anyone should look at the full video with an open mind.

It might well challenge all the pre-conceived narratives we have been fed over the last 10 years about the relationship of CO2 and climate , does CO2 drive climate change or is it the other way around, where we actually stand with CO2 concentrations and whether we are currently in a deficit, how much CO2 is good for plant life and whether the levels are currently dangerously low, and what effect funding has had on so called science which is nowhere near settled, and whether scientists have been prostituted as a result.

Defunding legitimate dissenting opinions and FUNDED studies linking climate change to everything including transgenderism is a prime and ludicrous example of why to be highly skeptical of the current narrative. A narrative espoused to exert ever increasing micro control over everyone’s daily life.

“Climate:The Movie I shared with you and has gone viral since it was released last week. Already Climate Alarmists and other vested interest groups are desperately trying to get it censored and banned on social media. Their complaints resulted in it being censored for 2 days by Vimeo until the producers asked for reasons why and it suddenly re-appeared on Vimeo. Google is shadow banning the movie’s website by directing traffic searching for it away! You know it is over target when they are trying so hard to censor it! Global Warming/CO2 alarmism is a scam and fraud on which $trns is now invested with swathes of people at risk of losing funding/jobs if it is exposed as a fraud. They are desperate to try keep the gravy train running!”

“environmentalists like to pose as anti – establishment” how ironic is it that they are actually the mouth pieces for the establishment.

When your government says we own the science ( which they do when they FUND it ) be very very wary !

Just for the record I grew up in a highly politicised country during times of strict censorship , but spent my informative scientific/engineering years in an environment of open and free debate at a centre for higher education – where the lessons of the day were lateral thinking.

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

• Mer says:

Thanks for the link. I’m going to grab a coffee or two and have a watch. Discussion and differing opinions is a good thing.

When it comes to ICE vehicles, I’m happy to see the majority phased out regardless of climate change. Reductions in air and noise pollution, especially in large cities, are good enough reasons for me. Likewise, the reinstatement of green areas in cities as a way of combatting stormwater issues. Greener spaces enhance quality of life. Policies that seek to reverse out some of the concrete-jungle mistakes seem like a good idea.

Cheers

• Ian Varkevisser says:

I am with you on discussion and differing opinions and letting one weigh up pros and cons and making personal decisions.

There is no doubt place for both technologies in the market place. Let the free market decide though and the practical solution will win in the end. Inevitably government interference stems from those who have absolutely no understanding of the facts but a high interest in lining their pockets as well as their lobbyist funders. Not the best of models to base decisions that affect the man in street on.

Let us also not forget the laws of practicality, obtainable tolerances and diminishing returns.

• Mer says:

Hi

I had a look at the video and followed up by checking out some of the folk and their claims. Before that, though, I felt that the wheels fell off in the second half when they leaned into the idea that it’s all some sort of conspiracy designed to exert control over a compliant populace.

As an aside, the capitalist free-market economy means that although we produce eight times more food than we need here in New Zealand, we pay some of the highest prices around at the supermarket. Although we produce huge amounts of timber, our building materials costs are horrendous. The system might work ok when applied to cameras, hifi etc., but really falls down when it hits the essentials of life.

I don’t like the government meddling with everything, but businesses are motivated by profit and too frequently by self-interest. The oil and gas industry routinely affects entire countries by reducing production and driving prices up – this is a manipulation of supply and demand that trickles through most walks of life due to increased transport costs, heating bills etc. This gets a free pass whereas any suspicion of government control drives a lot of people bonkers.

As for the idea that climate change is being used by the establishment to restrict the purchasing joys of the masses, because purchasing loads of stuff is obviously the one true path to happiness(facepalm). Well, the establishment stays wealthy by peddling stuff to the masses, it’s often closely linked to oil, gas and coal and the wealth that’s generated there. Why on earth would it seek to undermine that? A pyrrhic victory if ever there was one.

A friend works as a fund manager in London and the oil industry sure don’t suffer from lack of very large investments. From the UK last year . . . Hundreds of new oil and gas licenses will be granted in the UK, the Prime Minister has confirmed today (Monday 31 July). . . How on earth is this linked to governments trying to hobble the oil industry using a climate change agenda?

Note – many of the folk in that video receive funding directly or one step removed from the oil industry. One scientist, Soon, received around 1.5 million USD from oil and coal companies over about a decade and neglected to mention conflicts of interest in his papers.

Rant over. Coffee will help. Definitely strayed too far from photography. Apologies Pascal. Fun topic though, thanks to Ian for discussion.

Cheers

mmmmm

i notice with interest in one paragraph you say nz produces 8 times more food than it needs but you pay the some of the highest prices in the world.

in the very next you say oil and gas manipulate and reduce production to drive the prices up.

over production is the cause of high prices and under production is the cause of high prices is it ? what a lovely paradox. 🙂

hundreds of new oil and gas licenses WILL be granted ( in the non defined future of course ) – nice political speak – exactly how many WERE actually granted is more to the point ? anyone know ?

now why on earth would they issue dirty oil and gas licenses when green energy is so abundant , reliable and the future. Does the science point to a CO2 deficit and the government is here to help you ? after all the science is settled LOL

definitely not strayed too far from photography – after all the manufacturing process of digital cameras is solely responsible for the existential climate crisis is it not 😉

and hell lets not get started on the ills of the coffee production process and how it has wrecked the environment – enjoy your coffee before the government levies a new supertax on it . maybe i should redact that comment least some control freak politician is a subscriber he he.

• Mer says:

Ha. Nicely spotted, but no paradox as NZ sends the bulk of produce overseas – just the market sorting out the highest prices it can get away with. The house always wins, or something like that.

Drilling licenses – about 41 issued so far with further applications on the way. No CO2 deficit, despite what the graph in that video said.

A good thing that camera manufacture ain’t behind climate change. I’m rubbish at drawing.

Cheers

Re. our future ?
    A very illustrative sc.fi. book on humanity by the astronomer Fred Hoyle:
    October the First Is Too Late.

• Elon Musk (for a day) says:

Since you bunch of nasty people don’t love my cars, I officially declare that, as of today, I no longer love photography! Nor do I love Susan Sontag any more! Besides, if you so love old, analog cars, why are you shooting modern digital cameras, instead of old analogue ones? Hypocrites all, I say!

• Ian Varkevisser says:

Only a fool would say that on this day 🙂

Luckily my camera has an x-ray conversion and I see through your disguise P 🙂