#1344. A 3-man Stellenbosch walkabout

By Paul Perton | Travel Photography

Jan 31

I think most of us share the opinion that two photographers in the same place at the same time will produce radically different images. But what if that is suddenly three?

My recent trip to Cape Town for a wedding, saw me pre-arrange to meet and photowalk with DS regular, Ian Varkevisser. I didn’t plan for the groom’s son to arrive at his dad’s nuptials with a Fuji X-Pro and an enthusiasm for street shooting. Did he want to join Ian and I?

He sure did and I think he made a good job of it – welcome to DS, Alex van der Merwe (pronounced van der Merver).

The weather was pure Stellies, sunny, almost hot and predictably, an hour or so wandering the streets ended in a local hostelry with the inevitable cold beer. Enjoy our efforts.

Alex

Ian

Paul

โ€‹Never miss a post

โ€‹Like what you are reading? Subscribe below and receive all posts in your inbox as they are published. Join the conversation with thousands of other creative photographers.

Never been there – but it looks magic! No wonder it was chosen as the venue for a wedding!

You three guys obviously had a great time there – thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

I love all the sculptures – we have a bit of it around here, but nowhere near as much as that, and I miss it terribly – I’ve always loved sculpture – I love art anyway, but because sculpture is three-dimensional it appeals to me like art with a super-charger!

• Jon Maxim says:

Thank you Paul, Ian and Alex. Great shots and a perfect illustration of how three different styles can interpret the same environment. What I do see in common, though, is that magical South African light. I don’t know what it is, but you folks are lucky to have this almost tropical yet not glaringly overhead light. Does the South Pole bend them in the opposite direction to my Canadian rays? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ian Varkevisser says:

Hi Jon,

By and large the local light is harsh, glaring and contrasty most of the time , Big blue skies and bright bright bright. This little university town however is known for its oak tree lined lanes. It can often be a challenge shooting during the daytime any time between sunrise and sunset.

In answer to you question yes of course the South Pole bends the light in the opposite direction , just like water goes down the drainhole clockwise in the southern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere LOL ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Jon Maxim says:

HI Ian,

In all seriousness, I do find something special in the SA light. I should point I grew up in and learned to photograph in Venezuela where the light is also harsh. Yet somehow your light is more forgiving. I imagine that it it must be the difference in latitudes that gives you some more angle to the light.

Hi Jon, I always found that the light in Western Australia has a softer feel to it than the mediterranean light I am used to, and always thought it was because of the ocean giving off some humidity. Maybe that is the case with Stellenbosch, with some sort of mild diffusion happening??? Cheers

• Ian Varkevisser says:

I guess we are at the same latitude as Western Australia so as far as angle of light goes probably similar

• Ian Varkevisser says:

i do find a polarising filter makes a difference although on this occasion one was not used.

Wow! The three of you really captured the essence of beautiful Stellenbosch! The colors & details simply jump out of your images. Makes me want to visit the area again – this time with a camera. What a wonderful idea to meet up with other DS contributors for a photo shot. Kudos, gentlemen!