#1342. Light and Leaves

By Kristian Wannebo | Uncategorized

Jan 26

Four midsummers ago, in a different house, I was sitting and smoking my pipe on the floor of my back porch facing west leaning against the door – with a mug of coffee on my right and my camera (with a tele zoom mounted) on my left.

( Sunrise around 3 next morning.)

The evening sun went slowly by, all the time making new patters of light in the wet leaves in the wood surrounding my backyard – making my trigger finger itch.

I don’t know how often I had to relight my pipe.

The f=480mm FFeq end of the IS lens was just enough to catch the reflections from my seat.
Afterwards all those many exposures were too close to allow me to choose sensibly – and I put them aside for other things.

Now, looking for something quite different, I stumbled over them.

So here’s a selection.

Nice images, Kristian! The variety of greens result in a very serene and calming scene. Are these oak leaves? If so, it’s great to see them photographed outside of their usual fall palette.

Thank you, Nancee!

No, I don’t remember oak trees, but there certainly may have been some very young oak(s) in between.
      Some are from bushes, I don’t remember which.

Yes, the greens help a lot.
      I tried b/w for the light patterns alone, but that – as expected – fell flat.

Ha ha – Kristian, they remind me of the winter I spent with one of my orchids on my dining room table – as soon as the coast was clear (meaning “she” had gone to visit one of her friends), out with all the gear and blaze away, taking stackshots of the orchids. A year or so later, when I was trying to male “the final cut”, the one I selected was the lest likely of all of them – a smaller flower, not fully open, hidden amongst its big brothers & sisters – trying to peek around from behind the one in front of it. Far and away the most striking of all of them!

Happy hunting – tell us all which one is your choice for the Prix de la Photographie!

Well, Pete, prix are far away…
      But thank you for your encouragement!

Your orchid experience matches all the classical tales about small winning over large, doesn’t it?
      The eternal theme!
      ( Of course I don’t mean that was your reason!
      I just think that’s deep inside us all.)

• Jon Maxim says:

Lovely evocative, mood laden, images Kristian.
    …but what was the “f=480mm FFeq ” lens and on what size sensor?

Thank you, Jon!
      Glad you enjoy them.

Canon M5 (APS-C, crop factor 1.6) with
      Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II USM.
      ( E.g. Dustin Abbot has reviewed it.)