#1327. Undestination: Coastal Norway

By Mark Raugas | Travel Photography

Dec 04

This August I was able to visit Coastal Norway by way of Iceland and Stockholm (why travel in a straight line?) and wanted to follow up on my previous Icelandic essay with one with some photos from the second half of our trip. I have been to Stockholm enough times at this point that it feels familiar and that changes what catches my attention while on photo walks. Being in such a vibrant city was a drastic change from the roads of Iceland but I was still able to find some space by the Baltic waterfront, especially on the water taxis between islands in the archipelago.

Stockholm

Norway: From The Barents to Bergen

We then traveled to Kirkenes to join a coastal ferry up, around and down the Norwegian coast, spending several days in the Arctic. The weather was very temperate even for August and I spent time each day walking as we stopped. I was struck by the rock formations of the fjords and the clarity of the water. Our ferry stopped at many towns and cities along the way, including Hammerfest, Trondheim, Tromsø and parts of the Lofoten Islands. In the pictures selected below, I want to share some of the interfaces between the coastal mountains and fjords.

Bergen and Oslo

We finished our trip by visiting Bergen and Oslo. So, I can share a few urban landscapes and still life of street art and random features that caught my eye.

Coda

And one more, a Cormorant in Bergen, posing proudly. Image stabilization worked quite well even at 360mm with the adapted Leica-R 180mm lens and 2x teleconverter for a quick hand held portrait.

More photos from this trip can be found at innercapture.com. Thank you Pascal for the chance to share some of these memories with the Dear Susan community.

Equipment: Sony A1, Voigtländer 50/2 APO Lanthar E, Leica R 135/2.8, Leica R 180/3.4 APO, Leica 2x APO teleconverter. Capture One.

Wonderful images Mark – thanks for sharing them with us all. My wife’s recently returned from a trip to Norway, to capture the aurora borealis – it’s not as multi-coloured as the aurora australis that we have down here in Australia, but it’s more spectacular, I think. She loved the towns along the fiords – thought they looked like something in a toyshop!

Pete, from what I understand, the aurora you get in Australia only happen during periods of very strong solar activity, such as now. Because Australia is not as far South as Norway is North, it takes much more solar wind to push the aurora that far away from the “pole”. When that is the case, aurora also get more colorful. In the far North, you can get faint grey-green aurora hundreds of times a year on the Northern horizon, and when there is a solar storm the aurora move South (North for you) and are seen as much more colorful on the Souther horizon, if they are seen at all, because they can actually occur too far South. We’ve has some in Marseilles recently, though I didn’t see them.

We actually get them fairly often from an island just south of Tasmania. Most of the rest of us though, only as you describe. The “off Tassie” ones are Australia’s best, I think – sort of half way between those red ones and the northern lights. Best of all of course are the norther lights!

• Ian Varkevisser says:

From your images Norway looks a dark and foreboding place. Living in a more temperate climate I am not sure I would be able to cope with long winters without much sunshine.

• Steve Mallett says:

Mark, a lovely set of images and I particularly like the b&w ones; very atmospheric.

Lovely images, Mark! I’m so glad that you followed up your Iceland post with this one. It brings back wonderful memories of my journey through Norway (before I took up photography) – guess I need to go back for all the photographic opportunities I missed. Kudos!

Mark, many thanks for your lovely, insightful images, reminding me of some of my own memories of Norway. Alas, with photographerss like you, it may not remain an undestination for long…. Well done!

• Bo W says:

Mark, wonderful images, thanks for sharing. Do you see any difference in real life in the images taken with the Apo-Lanthar and other 50mm lenses? Or is it just “the joy” of using this lens that makes the images spectacular?
    And secondly, please come back to Stockholm in summertime. It is a very much different town then, truly vibrant and “the Venice of the North” with is waterfront and sceneries around.

• Mark Raugas says:

Thank you.

I really like the 50 APO FE lens.

I don’t have any of the modern Sony AF lenses right now. I used the 55/1.8 FE previously and enjoyed having autofocus, but the new viewfinders work very well for manual focus for me most of the time. I think the 55/1.8 is a great value but for me I recently sold my copy as I was distracted especially in wide aperture monochrome images by the irregular (so-called ‘onion ring’) bokeh. I am currently looking at different AF options for portraiture and am curious how using the Voigtlander 50 APO would work, even without autofocus. I did not bring the 55/1.8 on my August travels.

In reading online at FM and elsewhere about AF lenses at 50mm focal length, I am more curious about the Sony Zeiss 50/1.4 Planar lens than the new GM lenses.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.