#1071. A week in wintry West Wales

By Paul Perton | Travel Photography

Dec 17

I’ve been down to west Wales to see Steve (Mallett). The weather was predictably poor and we spent time catching up, listening to his new audio system, talking and shooting photographs. My Fujis are always at the ready and his return to Olympus has been marked by an as yet untried Olympus E-M1 Mk iii

It was time to brave the winter weather.

Sunrise at Treffynnon

Our photographs aren’t in sequence – see each for an initial.

SM

A lone morning drive, looking for inspiration

PP
PP
PP

Then, the ancient forest at Ty Canol

SM
SM
PP
PP
SM

Cold and wet

Drizzle

Mist

Mud everywhere

The forest’s trees bare of leaves

Waiting for Spring

A lone runner, ear pods blocking out the world

A wife with two sheepdogs

One dog quiet and interested

The other eating a sodden twig

Sad because no-one wants to throw it and play

Two days later, to Tenby

PP
SM
PP
SM

Damp multi-storey car park

Winter clad residents

Made-up women, following eager husbands

Stout locals, working all

Builders building

Engineers repairing

Mariners preparing boats, staying moored

Bakers and piemen hoping for passing trade

Cafés selling lattes and cappuccinos

Visitors rueing closed pubs and bars

• Dallas says:

Great images thanks for sharing PP & SM

The commentary sounds like a lament. But I like the photos. LOL

(OK – I shouldn’t have said that – but I couldn’t resist!)

North Wales is one of the few parts of the UK that I’d like to see. And yes I know the weather’s like Bretagne & Normandy – but they’re also worth visiting. I might be tempted to try summer though, rather than winter. Spring, even.

At the mention of Tenby, people leap onto the internet and ask questions – like “Where is Tenby in England?” (LOL – it isn’t – it’s in Wales!), “What is Tenby known for?” “How far is Tenby from Birmingham?” and “How far is Tenby from Liverpool?” Hmmm. I just wanted to know why the Plantagenets had a branch office there.

Well you’ve raised the bar – I suspect even Pascal will be jealous of the level of detail in your clouds.

• Frank Field says:

Proof that the winter offers its own wonders for photography and certainly encourages us all to get outside. I especially liked the images of the details. Thanks so much for posting.

• Heneage Mitchell says:

Had to let you know I LOVE the photos in this Dear Susan collection, they made me want to jump on a plane and head to West Wales for an extended break – sod the sunshine and warmth of Thailand, it isn’t winter until you’ve climbed to the top of Cairn Meini and filled your wellies with frozen bog water is it!

• Steve Mallett says:

H, I fear you have an overly romanticised memory of Pembrokeshire winters! Too long in the sun? Nevertheless I’m pleased our pics evoke such a reaction.

Sod the sunshine? Actually I’m very fond of it – even if it does mean watering the garden every couple of days. I’ve tried living in colder places, and this place suits me just fine – the temperature has only every managed to go down as far as -0.5oC/31oF for a total of a couple of hours, once, in the past two centuries and right now it’s 31oC/87oF. It’s just “pleasantly warm” – a bit hot if you stand in direct sunshine.

I haven’t needed to wear things like slippers, in winter, since I left the icicles behind, over half a century ago! I’m perfectly happy to enjoy seeing someone else’s photos of it, instead!

• Robert Sessions says:

Thank you for your evocative and lovely photos, Paul. They are wonderfully spare, which in my memories of northern Wales, is exactly accurate.

• Steve Mallett says:

Robert, glad you like the pics but to ensure we don’t have a “regional incident” on our hands I have to point out this is West Wales not North!

Paul

These images remind me of being out in the Pacific Northwest, gray and wet.

They also brought another thought to mind.

To paraphrase a quote from John Muir, “The countryside is calling, and I must go (photograph it).”

PaulB

• Steve Mallett says:

Paul, living here if you don’t embrace “wet and grey” life can be stressful!

• PaulB says:

Steve

The same applies here.

Get out while you have light.

It looks like you are making good use of the Olympus. What are your impressions after being away?

PaulB

• Steve Mallett says:

Paul, short answer, like coming home! It’s all about the package; performance/size/weight. The long answer and my short sojourn into the world of the Z7 will probably end up as a piece for DS. Not before Christmas though.

• PaulB says:

Steve

I will look forward to reading your story.

I understand how you feel about the “package”. I have been hearing the siren’s song from the 45+ MP cameras, but the handling and the bulk have held me back. I am trying to resist, but I am also looking for angles to help justify the experiment.

We will see what the future holds.

PaulB

You mean you live in Pembrokeshire? Drowning in tourists from Birmingham & Liverpool?

No wonder you’re so adept at capturing the atmosphere of the place!

Nice work, you two! The “lovely” weather actually worked for you, bringing interesting skies and moody lighting to your wonderful images. Makes me want to come back to Wales – it’s been way too long.