#857. Afrika Burn 2019

By Paul Perton | Travel Photography

May 13

Last year’s Afrika Burn was my first. A second Burn this year leaves me something of a vet(eran) and able to skip the intro, which I’m sure you read avidly this time last year.

Once again, I managed the rock strewn road up from Ceres and back without a tyre blow-out, a well established issue for drivers to the Tankwa region, where the Burn is held. The Tankwa is also a National Park and a favourite for weekends away from the nearby Cape. Travel without decent tyres, a spare and tools at your peril.

Afternoon shadows, Afrika Burn 2019

The only difference was my son, co-driver and Burn virgin beside me in the car. I’m pleased to report that we both had a great time.

Enough words. Here’s a peek at Afrika Burn 2019.

Burners

At the going down of the sun

Part of the pan that is home to Afrika Burn

Late Friday afternoon

Mutant vehicle

The ’60s live…

The kite arc

• Mike says:

Wonderful.

• Great photos Paul it looks like it would have been a wonderful experience.

Good to know there are still places on Earth where people are having that sort of fun 🙂 Great photos, thanks for sharing the vibe!

Lovely, pics! No, better than lovely, epic! If I had to pick faves,which you are making really hard, it would be the portrait of a woman holding her headdress in the wind, and the last one. Congrats!

• Dawi van der Merwe says:

Gorgeous work Paul… love seeing the world through your eyes… and lenses…

Paul! Wow, just wow! You have captured the spirit and wonder of Africa Burn in such a creative way! I’ve really enjoyed seeing a preview of these images on FB over the past week or so – and was hoping there’d be a DearSusan post coming up. It’s hard to choose a favorite, so I won’t – I love them all and each one has an important place in the story. Well done, my friend!

You’re all nuts, but you don’t need to be told that, you knew it before you went. And had a great time, for several days, with photographic opportunities WAY outside the ordinary!
    Tell me – who are the burners in the shot after ‘african shadows’? – you and your son?

• Steve Mallett says:

What a fab set of images Paul; I can feel the vibe. I’m wondering if Jules has any of his old man in full burner regalia?

• Johannes Hüttner says:

Awesome shots. I really envy you this experience. If I were there i‘d be scared as hell about getting dust in my camera…

Powerful photos, Paul!
    I love “Burners” a lot… magical light; and the “structure” in the night.
    As far as i know, we have nothing like that event in Quebec… what a fascinating playing field for a tog 😀